New Power Strip, Anderson Power Poles, and the Station

12/3/07, Greetings and happy holidays. I recently installed a DC distribution power strip made by West Mountain Radio (model 8012). It appears to be a well made product, I have attached a photo of the strip, and my installation below. I wrote a review on this product on e-ham and the review can be viewed at . The strip uses Anderson Powerpoles connectors, so I spent a good deal of time converting all of my DC power cabling from ring connectors to Powerpoles, instead of crimping, I choose to solder all of my connections at my fixed location because there are no issues with vibration. However, if you are using powerpoles in a mobile environment, it is recommended that you crimp the connectors because a soldered connection is prone to breakage from vibration stress. This is the case in all aircraft installations, all wiring connections in aircraft are crimped. The powerpoles are a good product if installed properly and used correctly. Although, because they are "genderless" they can be installed upside down, so special attention must be given when attaching the connector. Once installed, the powerpoles can easily disconnect, so strain relief must be given to the wires when connected to a distribution panel or when connecting to other wire pairs a wire tie should be used. In a mobile environment, I recommend that a locking mechanism be used, such as the ones offered by Powerwrex In regard to Powerwerx, I obtained all of my DC supply components for this project from them. I can report that the order was handled quickly, accurately, and shipping was as expected without any undue delays. If you are looking for Anderson Powerpole components, I suggest that you give them a try.

My amateur radio station mostly consists of equipment from Yaesu, I guess my affair with Yaesu was started because the first radio I obtained as a new ham was a Yaesu FT-5100 dual band 2m/70cm mobile rig. I still have it today and it works today. Next came a used Yaesu FT-101E, Yaesu made tons of the FT-101's, from 1970 through what I believe is 1979, and many are still working today. It seems that most seasoned hams always have a radio that they wished they had kept, mine was a Yaesu FT-101F that I had for about two years. I purchased the radio from an estate for about $200.00, it worked great and looked new, but it sat in the corner without any use for about a year and a half so I let it go, my mistake. My first new HF rig was a Yaesu FT-840, with the matching FP-800 power supply, and FC-10 tuner. I've thought about selling it a few times, and even put it up for sale once, but when the deal fell through, I decided to keep it. The combo still works as good as new and I am glad I kept it. One of my other radios is a Yaesu FT-1000D, it is my favorite and IMO the best of the analog rigs from Yaesu. I just love the received audio and the simplistic but functional nature of this rig. The manufacturers has been touting DSP for a few years, but IMO, DSP just adds too many artifacts to the audio chain which makes the audio sound too unnatural. The auto-notch portion of DSP is the only part that I like when it is processed properly. I also have a Yaesu FT-1000mp Mk.V, I purchased this rig contemplating replacing the 1000D, and also on my own experience from previously owning an original FT1000mp. IMO the MP is a better rig than the Mk.V, and the 1000D is better than both of these rigs. The auto notch feature was far better in the MP because its functionality was transparent, but in the Mk.V, you can tell when you turn the auto notch because of the effect it has on the audio. The filter controls on the mp are also better, whereas they are more versatile and are selectable from the front panel, on the Mk.V you have to dive into the layers of menu choices which are fewer, and the choices are limited of how they are cascaded among the various IF's. The main reason I have kept the Mk.V is because it operates so seamlessly with my amplifier, a Yaesu Quadra. I just recently picked up the Quadra used, so I haven't had it on the air yet, but tested into a dummy load, 1200 watts is about the comfortable limit, you can push it to 1400 watts by adjusting the ALC, but it certainly does not like to operate in this range. My other rigs are a Yaesu FT-847, FT-857, Ft-530, VX-150, Kenwood Tm-221A, Icom 706 Mk.II, and a two 220 mhz rigs, one is a HT from Standard (pre vertex), and one from ARI which was a gift from KF4MBC. I am still working out my antenna configuration but hopefully I should have that plan down within the next few months.
73 de AB4D

Close up of the West Mountain 8012

8012 Installation at AB4D, all wires are hung from a hook and are held in place with a Velcro wire tie.