Greeting for the New Year, and progress on the Station.

I've been busy during the holiday season, but I was fortunate enough to get a few things done on the station. First, I finished building a little corner table for my computer monitor to sit upon. I have a standard rectangular desk and a seperate side hutch. However, having this configuration gives me a wasted corner of open space, so I went ahead a built myself a simple 20"X30" solid oak table. It fits in the corner very nicely and gives me a place to put a few items. I have put most of my equipment in place, but like most ham shacks, things will change periodically. I have attached a few photos of the current configuration for those who may have an interest.

Second, I finally installed my safety ground for my station. For a ground system, I have a 1/2 inch schedule 40 copper pipe which spans the back of the desk. All equipment is attached to the pipe by short leads of commercially tinned 1/4 inch copper braid, fastened with stainless steel hose clamps, and the pipe is electrically connected to the outside ground by a 8 feet of commercially tinned heavy 1 inch copper braid. The outside ground consists of five copper clad steel 8 foot grounding rods spaced 8 to 12 feet apart, connected together with #6 solid copper uninsulated wire, which is connected to the service ground for the residence (to keep all grounds at the same potential). Some sources on the net indicate that the ground wire should be soldered to the rod, and some folks say that no, a mechanical connection is best because if lighting strikes your station, the solder may fail, and leave the station ungrounded, which does makes sense. I actually choose to do both using UL approved grounding clamps to secure the ground wire to the ground rods, coated the rods with Noalox a conductivity protective, and then added soldered leads at each rod.

I am still in the process of trying to sort out my antenna situation, short term and long term. For the time being, I plan on temporarily installing a dipole at about 40 feet between a ground mounted TV mast and a tree. I am still considering the US Towers HDX589MDLP, but time will tell on the final choice.



73 AB4D


Photos of the mostly Yaesu shack....







And a close up of my current favorite rig...The Yaesu FT-1000D...