Another addition to the station, the Icom IC-7700...



I am still waiting for delivery of an Alpha 9500 amplifier, which is scheduled for delivery sometime in late July. In the meantime, I have been following the ongoing discussion/speculation about pending price increases in amateur gear, which in the case of Icom and Alpha Radio, came true as of June 1, 2008. The Alpha 9500 has now increased in price to a whopping $9650.00 dollars U.S. I had planned to install a good sized (89 foot) crank up tower here next year, but find that my current limited operating time, and interest do not warrant a tower of that size at this time. Instead, I decided to add another HF transceiver to the station and ordered a new Icom 7700 just before the price increased from $6299.00 to $6999.00. A few other hams that I talk to on 75 meters also purchased this rig and have been quite pleased with it's performance. For a tower, I do have 59 feet of new Rohn 25g with a Glen Martin hazer. The problem I have had with Rohn towers is obtaining sufficient engineering specifications for the 25g in compliance with EIA-222 to obtain building permits. I attempted to discuss the issue with the local bulding code folks about what is required, but they seemed to not understand that the tower is for amateur radio use, and was not a broadcast or private commercial tower. I will attempt to revisit this issue again when I get serious about installing the tower. Hopefully, next time I will get someone who is a little more informed about the ARS vs. Commericial Radio.

73