Greetings in the New Year

Greetings to all for 2009. Today, a new President was sworn into office which is quite a historical event for the United States, as President Obama is the first African-American to serve in this capacity. I wish him all the success in the world, he is going to need it with all of the current problems that are affecting the United States and the rest of the world.

You may be asking what does this have to do with amateur radio? Well, along with a new President, there are also changes in staffing at several government agencies, including the FCC. President Obama has appointed Julius Genachowski to head the FCC. I am not familiar with Mr. Genachowski's stance on BPL. However, IMO it cannot be any worse than Kevin Martin's pro BPL stance, and what I believe were deceptive practices by the FCC during Mr. Martin's tenure to make it appear that older technology BPL was more viable as an avenue for hi-speed Internet than was actually true. I am also eager to see who has been selected to serve as the new enforcement Czar, filling the position vacated when Riley Hollingsworth retired. I have read several conflicting rumors on the Internet concerning this topic, but nothing that I can confirm, therefore I will not bother to post any unconfirmed information.

The reason I am interested in this topic is because lately I have noted an increase in the number of individuals who are beginning to engage in the behaviors (QRM, Bad Language, Broadcasting, Illegal Power) that were present in the United States before Riley Hollingsworth began his enforcement crusade. I can remember the mess that was once 20 and 75 meters, it was like the wild wild west with gunfights going on up and down the band, 20 meters during the day and 75 at night, and it seemed that every gunman used a 5 KW+ station to effectively destroy his opponent, plus anyone else who happened to be within 10 khz of the frequency. To sum it up, I would hate to see ham radio return to its former state of comical dysfunction that was so prevalent in the 1990's.

Concerning my station, I have been in the process of building a custom hand key box from pieces of solid oak that I laminated together in the shape of a square. I routered the box into the shape I wanted, and am using a pinball flipper contact switch that I purchased off of eBay to perform the switching. As I get closer to completing the key box, I will post more in depth information with accompanying photographs about this project. Until then...

73

Jim/AB4D