The RATS Frostfest...

Hi,

I recently attended one of the few hamfests I visit each year, the Richmond Amateur Telecommunications Society (RATS) Frostfest, in Richmond, VA. As usual, the Frostfest appears to have been a success. Attendence seemed to be up this year, as it was fairly crowded in both of the large buildings that houses this event.

Yaesu/Vertex, RF Concepts/Alpha Amplifier, Flex Radio Systems, Elecraft, Alinco/GRE, and Hiberling, all had nice displays representing their current products. I was disappointed that neither Kenwood nor Icom attended the fest. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable talking to the other representatives from the various companies who were there. I especially enjoyed meeting Molly Hardman, W0MOM, of Alpha Radio, with whom I had spoken to many times over the telephone since my purchase of an Alpha 9500.

I was also able to pick up a few items from the tailgaters and won one of the available door prizes. From the tailgating section, I picked up a Meggar (earth ground testing device) for a reasonable sum, a good MC-50 microphone for use with my Kenwood TS-830S, and a very nice Hitachi dual trace 100 mhz scope from a friend, Danny WA4SDE.

The door prize I won was a $25 gift certificate from the ARRL, and a $100 gift certificate from Yaesu USA. Overall, it was a fun day, and I got to meet a many of those in person who I talk to on the air.

Here are a few photos from the fest...

Danny WA4SDE talking to another ham...



Fellow Amateurs, Mike, AA4MC
and his wife Linda, W4LYN...