The Mobile installation continues...

I continued to work on my mobile project and recently installed the Kenwood DNX9960 head unit. In the dash under the opening for a non-existent center speaker, I installed the GPS antenna for the built in Garmin GPS and the optional GPS receiver/antenna for the Yaesu FTM-350. So far, I highly recommend the Kenwood receiver. The GPS works well, the audio using just the stock speakers sounds very good, and I really like the interface for the Apple ipod.

The blue tooth feature in the head unit also works well. It automatically syncs to my phone when I get in the truck and turn on the receiver. I thought about purchasing the blue tooth option for the FTM-350 and syncing it to Kenwood receiver, but I could not think of a useful application for this, other than using the Kenwood's built in microphone for the FTM-350, or putting the FTM-350's audio through the receiver. However, I am still exploring the features, so I may come up with an application eventually.

For the time being, I am not installing the FTM-350 until I purchase the HF rig, as I want to do all the wiring at the same time. Spring has arrived so it's now time to put my efforts into outdoors and continuing work on the tower project. I have installed some ground rods, but I have not yet permanently bonded them to the tower. I want to do this very soon with the threat of lightning increasing due to the warmer weather.

73

Kenwood DNX 9960...


Kenwood GPS antenna (left) and Yaesu GPS unit (right)...