The OCF antenna...

During the past several months, I constructed and began experimenting with an OCF type antenna (180/90 foot elements + 6:1 balun) feed with coax at 70 feet, versus a 540 foot diameter square loop antenna mounted at 35 feet, fed with 600 ohm ladder line. I had it mounted with the ends facing NW/SE.  I have concluded, the loop antenna out performs the OCF antenna and has shown to exhibit greater gain on the low bands of 40-80-160 meters.  Signals from the OCF antenna have consistently been down several S units on both receive and transmit.  Only on the higher bands does it begin to become comparable.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed experimenting with that antenna, but I have not found any real advantage to keep the OCF antenna operational at my station.

The next antenna I am planning as an experiment will be a multi-element inverted V dipole.  I don't currently have an antenna for the 30 meter band, so I will include elements for that band.  Considering a 4 band configuration (80 meters, 40 meters, 30 meters, 17 meters).  It will be interesting to see if I can make that work.

73 de AB4D.